PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What I believe we still miss is.......
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What I believe we still miss is.......  (Read 6671 times)

Jimmy

Re: What I believe we still miss is.......
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »

Id say right midfielder and 2 defenders if possible

markecky

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »

Probably best to just let the directors run the club really.  They haven't done a bad job so far. Unless I'm missing something?

If it was simple as "get Duncan money in and pour it into the playing budget" then anyone could do it.

Things like the loss of the Manchester Utd income have to be factored in, a massive hole I would say.

Was reading the Barrow forum before, they want the manager out, the board sacked and are baying for the blood of everyone. 

Pretty sure they would swop for our financially stable, joint top club with plans for the future any day.

Jimmy

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »

I think both the board and manager are doing a good job but to go into the season with 5 defenders is mad regardless of the sad injury to Williams

JDN

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »

Id say right midfielder and 2 defenders if possible
correct

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »

I think both the board and manager are doing a good job but to go into the season with 5 defenders is mad regardless of the sad injury to Williams

Just as a matter of interest would you rather we had signed  a player just to get the numbers up or (given that at our level we are not subject to the Transfer Window) kept the powder dry as it were and tried to pick up a player of the requisite quality?

There has been significant criticism in the past when we have done the former so I suppose doing the latter must also attract a certain degree of opprobrium

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

The lack of vocal leadership remains a concern for me too. A great example of this is Oxford's second half corner (7'05" in the highlights) when their centre back jogs into the box at the last minute, is left totally unmarked and has acres of space to get a shot away. Afterwards, the Alty players all just potter back to their positions - nobody says a word until Shaun Densmore rather half-heartedly gestures in a 'who's marking him?' kind of way. Someone ought to have done their nut about the lack of marking but we just don't seem to have that kind of personality in the team.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:10:13 PM by Leon »

Jimmy

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »

Just as a matter of interest would you rather we had signed  a player just to get the numbers up or (given that at our level we are not subject to the Transfer Window) kept the powder dry as it were and tried to pick up a player of the requisite quality?

There has been significant criticism in the past when we have done the former so I suppose doing the latter must also attract a certain degree of opprobrium
Phil we have 4 fit defenders at the club

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »

This is something of which I am aware. However my question relates to the assertion that we ought to have signed another defender before or at the start of the season.

I'm not being confrontational and I don't know the right answer. I am however honestly interested in your view(s)

JDN

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

Greg Young?

Jimmy

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »

This is something of which I am aware. However my question relates to the assertion that we ought to have signed another defender before or at the start of the season.

I'm not being confrontational and I don't know the right answer. I am however honestly interested in your view(s)
I personally think we should've had 6 defenders in the squad that would be able to play at first team level

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:53 PM »

I personally think we should've had 6 defenders in the squad that would be able to play at first team level

Okay, fair enough!

Now can you please answer the question I have put?

Robins Retweet

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:10 AM »

If we miss out on promotion this season because of lack of back up its a crying shame. :-[

Jenga

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »

In all honesty on the games I have seen this year, which has only been the home games, I don't think we have a promotion winning team.

Our league position is great and you can only beat what is put in front of you. In the case of Histon and more worryingly Oxford we didn't win. I actually expect Histon will do quite well this season.

We have not played what I consider good football, we have not dominated a game, we have not put teams to the sword. Yes I know we are joint top of the league, but we haven't yet played what are expected to be the top sides.

So all in all I am actually disappointed with the results so far and the rose tinted glasses perhaps need to come off ... if that makes any sort of sense. However I cant argue that we have had a good start points wise.

The lack of a leader does worry me as well, the team looks a little like a gentlemans team apart from the odd player. I think we just need some energy in there .

Against Oxford we didn't have a clue going forward. EVERYTHING was down our left hand side, we had nothing at all to offer on the right and Oxford cottoned on to that and sured up that side of the park which meant that Clee didn't have as much of a free reign and therefore disappeared. This perhaps was more down to the Oxford tactics rather than Clee "going off". What we needed was then to revert play to the right and push that side to switch their defence again.

We do need a bit of an engine to keep us going and keep the team battling for 90 minutes.

A new centre back is needed for cover for sure, although Leather is more than capable to fill Williams hole (so to speak) so a squad player is probably needed, but as Sinnout says Rodgers can play there if needed so no urgency.

So in short, I believe we need a right winger, a defender and either someone needs to step up to the plate for pushing the team on or we need to get Eddie Hussain back in football boots.

I cant believe I have typed a sensible post for a change - although that is probably up for opinion.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:01:03 PM by Jenga »

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »

It is something I think we miss too. But even though we already had Eddie at the start of the 2004/05 season, we didn't sign a key player of that team until October, and he dragged us through BPA and Kettering...Val Owen. A similar scenario would be good.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

I would like to see a defender and an experienced keeper added to the squad. (I don't understand why LS didn't retain an experienced keeper as cover from last season)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What I believe we still miss is.......