PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What I believe we still miss is.......
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What I believe we still miss is.......  (Read 6671 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 15, 2013, 01:31:08 AM »

A LEADER!!!!

We need a Robbie Lawton,Eddie, Carmo etc.  I ain’t talking about pedigree, I am talking about a shouter, encourager, a growler basically someone who gets the other players adrenaline pumping again.

No-one can argue that we’ve got the most talented squad that we have had in years but there isn’t enough passion and determination. Their number 4 goes down injured ( fake injury ) at 2-2, I look at Jake Moult he is wiping the sweat of his head with his shirt, Buzz is shaking his head in frustration, Nicky Clee is trying to find his second half head. Reeves stood in silence looking at their 4 faking injury. I never rated Robbie Lawton or Eddie for talent but I did for grit, determination and leadership.

If we had a Robbie, Eddie, Carmo etc type of character in those breaks of play then they would be encouraging, shouting and growling at the opposition. Robbie was excellent at that, often I would see him clapping, shouting to players to get their heads up !!!!Just getting the blood pumping around the team again. It makes a huge difference, I’ve played a bit of football over the years and I always remember the tough passionate players rather than the skinny winger who dribbled it past 3 and got nobbled and spent 5 minutes rolling around.

Last season I played for my Sunday team against top of the league, they were unbeaten and I was put in centre mid with our tough midfielder. We were up against 3 good centre mids but my team mate just turned and said ‘Ollie you ready for this,it is going to be war’. People might laugh but we won nearly every ball and beat them one nil. Just having that sort of player next me, just instantly put me on that next adrenaline / playing level!

I’ve said it all through Sinnot’s reign, he knows good footballers but we have nowhere near enough determination and passion, even some anger channelled correctly wouldn’t go a miss! Luca tries’ his hardest but let’s face it, he’s too good looking to be a growler. The era of Mad dog, Talbot, Kevin Hulme etc they were not in the same talent league as Luca, Boshell etc but they scared teams. They walked on the pitch like warriors, we need a lot of that character in this team.

Here is a prime example, when I first heard about the signing of a 6ft2 muscular centre mid called Carl Rodgers I thought exactly what we need. I have never once heard Carl say or shout anything on the pitch and the only time he really had it was Burton away in the FA Cup. I think he's half decent but that's the sort of squad we have.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What I believe we still miss is.......
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »

Oh to add why I am on one it does not have to be a centre mid for example Mr Rod Thornley was as loud as anyone i've heard on the pitch. Soooo gutted Steve Connors couldn't get over his knee injury because he was exactly the player we need!

My other worry now that we lost Duncs is if Clee isn't on his game then we struggle to get forward or create chances!

Anyhow got to be happy with the start but we have a lot tougher teams ahead so we need to start gritting those teeth!!!

LETS F**KING HAVE IT !!!!!

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:41 AM »

Kingy ?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »

All round leader central midfielder and centre half would  be beneficial , probably mean having to release a player though

Robins Retweet

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »

This sort of player is fading away sadly with the speed of the game now, at the top level dialogue between players is getting less and less on the pitch imo, the lower down the ladder u go i reckon the more are left as its all about money now, even we have seen players sitting around on contracts saying and doing nothing (twiss).

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »

This sort of player is fading away sadly with the speed of the game now, at the top level dialogue between players is getting less and less on the pitch imo, the lower down the ladder u go i reckon the more are left as its all about money now, even we have seen players sitting around on contracts saying and doing nothing (twiss).

Totally agree with you but these leaders are now a very rare breed. Many believe that Kingy won matches before the players even entered the pitch by banging on the away dressing room door and scaring the daylight out of em - he was that type of character. He psychologically won battles on the pitch as well as physically.The current issue applies at all levels, example the Irish team would be very good if they had a Roy Keane or Tony Grealish in midfield - but the fact is that one does not exist. I agree that Alty are lacking a leader and fighter in midfield which throwing a 2 goal home lead to the team second from bottom proves. I still think this is an area we must try and address unlike worrying about things we cannot do anything about such as crap referees and bad weather.

JDN

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »

All round leader central midfielder and centre half would  be beneficial , probably mean having to release a player though
why?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

why?

moult and boshell are good, but not sure if they are quite good enough for a central midfield partnership to win the title ,same with leather at centre half , only my opinion loved to be proved wrong

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

Agree that such players are now rare, in that case current squad need to rally together and be more up for it!

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

I would say the game is virtually non contact so rather than a tough midfielder put richman in middle quickly sort out a right sided midfielder and in terms of personal with the sad injury to Williams we need 2 in defence to go into the season with 5 defenders was never enough as it wasn't last year

JDN

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »

why?

moult and boshell are good, but not sure if they are quite good enough for a central midfield partnership to win the title ,same with leather at centre half , only my opinion loved to be proved wrong

sorry I meant, why would we have to release a player to bring another in?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

why?

sorry I meant, why would we have to release a player to bring another in?
[/quote#

possibly due playing budget ?

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

If we've got what we should for Duncan that isn't a problem

JDN

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »

exactly!!!

And of course there always the emergency fund

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »

exactly!!!

And of course there always the emergency fund

you agree we should bring in a central defender and midfielder ?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team