PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The same old story
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The same old story  (Read 4484 times)

Altysmiffy

The same old story
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:29:40 PM »

The Stevenage match report.....

"Quite how Stevenage failed to run up a cricket score at Broadhall Way on Saturday was a puzzle to the 1,913 spectators who witnessed the one-sided contest. From first minute to last the home side laid siege to the Altrincham goal but a mixture of poor finishing, bad luck and dogged defence meant that a rather fortunate goal from Chris Senior midway through the first half sent Borough crashing to their second defeat of the week... "

These full timers simply do not like losing do they?

ChrisVessey CUFC

Re: The same old story
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:39:33 PM »

So Altrincham have never ever ever ever had a slightly biased match report on their website?

Nowt to do with 'full-timers' or 'part-timers' as you like to think. Maybe its just a fan of the club with slightly tinted Stevenage glasses.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »

I think our reports done by John Laidlar are one of the most balanced in this league.For the Stevenage game,he does say it was a mixture of great defending by us,but also poor finishing by Stevenage.And if we perform badly,he doesn't say it was because of the opposition.Look back to his report on the Southport defeat and you will see that he blames the defeat on poor finishing,not because Southport did there job (I know it was a home game,but the principle is still there).

In summary,I believe we don't get the credit for victories over some sides.They must relaise our situation and that we come to their place to catch them on the counter,nick a goal and grind out the win.I doubt Stevenage fans would be moaning if they defended a 1-0 lead for 60mins away from home when they need the win.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »

Nowt to do with 'full-timers' or 'part-timers' as you like to think. Maybe its just a fan of the club with slightly tinted Stevenage glasses.

Indeed, no wonder people think we're obsessed!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:23 AM »

Yes Jimmy, thats my point. I have a slight fondness for Alty and i admire your achievements as a well run part-time side in a somewhat 'professional' division, where you have to compete against the so called bigger clubs.... but it irks me slightly as some of your fans have an obsession with the full time/part time status thing. But you know that anyway from my postings about it before on confguide! Its great that you do so well against full time teams, honestly, it is. But to pull quotes from a fans match report and claim that him putting your goal as fortunate is all down to a clubs status and say 'these full timers simply do not like losing' (do part time sides enjoy losing then!?) is a bit too much.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »

'these full timers simply do not like losing' (do part time sides enjoy losing then!?) is a bit too much.

we love it, well at least some of us, gives us a chance to moan and blame it as to why we are miserable!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:19 AM »

Yes Jimmy, thats my point. I have a slight fondness for Alty and i admire your achievements as a well run part-time side in a somewhat 'professional' division, where you have to compete against the so called bigger clubs.... but it irks me slightly as some of your fans have an obsession with the full time/part time status thing. But you know that anyway from my postings about it before on confguide! Its great that you do so well against full time teams, honestly, it is. But to pull quotes from a fans match report and claim that him putting your goal as fortunate is all down to a clubs status and say 'these full timers simply do not like losing' (do part time sides enjoy losing then!?) is a bit too much.

The obsession with our part time status irks some Alty fans too, so you're not alone!  :D

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Chris, part-time doesn't mean you aren't professional.

teasybeaver

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:43 PM »

I do think we play on the part-time thing a bit too much but then there are plenty of cases where we are correect in doing so.

A lot of teams think its some kind of insult to be beaten by a club that doesnt train all week, hence the common match report from a post-alty victory. Same old story really is the case here. It would be nice to read a report that doesn't have us down a the luckiest side in the world, more relevantly it would be nice to see a report that says Alty were well organised, defended solidly and achieved exactly what they set out to do.

Of course a mention of our world class keepers is needed as Coburn and Acton have kept us in many games this season, but that is what they are paid to do. I wouldn't see it as a miracle that a team couldn't score past us, it would be more suprising if we had a goalkeeper who let absolutely everything in.

Thinking aside, I remember when we used to cheer if Matt Dickens actually managed to catch a cross!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »

I think we should play on the 'part time' status. Its an amazing achievement and keeping a part time team in this league is surely more of an achievement than Oxford being 2nd ?

Years a go if we beat a league team in the FA Cup then it would be an amazing achievement (yes we used to beat them) well now we are playing FA Cup games every week as some teams in this league pay more on wages than what League Two sides do.

I don't think we should underestimate how well we are doing with our budget and size of club.

PS: Plus the 'Part time' really annoys other fans so thats a good enough reason.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:50:57 PM »

Thinking aside, I remember when we used to cheer if Matt Dickens actually managed to catch a cross!

That would have meant him coming off his line to do that

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »

I don't know what Stevenage are moaning about. I remember when we managed to beat Doncaster Rovers without even having a single shot on target. Now that is cause for complaint!!

"It was like the Alamo"

Class!

teasybeaver

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »

Ha ha, seem to remember a few alty results over the years where we came away with the glory despite being laid to siege.

Maybe we really are lucky thinking about it! Although I prefer to think that we grind out these results because of our qualities, not our luck.

I still think the reaction from Oxford away was the best. I think there's still a few people in total disbelief that they didnt tonk us 8-0.

If you look hard enough on the internet I think you'll find a template of an ........ Vs Alty match review. Just fill in the gaps and hey presto, "Stuffy Alty perform smash n grab raid!!" review ready to publish. Maybe we could start a templete to make it a bit easier for the remaining clubs we beat this season and next!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

I don't think we should underestimate how well we are doing with our budget and size of club.

I think this, rather than the part/full-time issue, is the more salient one.

We're not doing well for a part-time team, we're doing well for a club with severely limited financial resources. Indeed, I'm sure we all agree that if we were to go full-time with no change in the financial situation the quality of our squad would diminish significantly.

Being part-time in itself is no barrier to achievement, having very little cash is. IMO our focus should be more towards being skint rather than being part-time.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 08:58:07 AM »

Well said Jimmy.
It's a refreshing change nowadays to find a Football Club which is punching above it's weight on the field and making a profit (albeit a modest one) as well.
Perhaps some supporters of other clubs might think we are being smug, but that's not the case - we're simply proud of our players and set up here.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The same old story