PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 THE PLAY OFFS

Poll

We could make it - but would it be a good thing for the club ?

We should go for it, and strengthen substantially when the budget for next seaso allows
We should go for it with the current squad and hope to cling to BSP status
We should go for it and use the money from one season up to go back fitter again if we come straight back down
We should accept that we're nowhere near good enough and stay put with a view to improving substantially next season

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: THE PLAY OFFS  (Read 3679 times)

taxi Phil

THE PLAY OFFS
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »

I'm sure there's nobody here who thinks the current squad is good enough to go up and not struggle in BSP. I was particularly worried yesterday that our best three players were two loanees, and a teenage substitute. OK we missed Nicky Clee, but it's my opinion that we're seven or eight players short of a viable BSP squad - and three or four short of play off material.

The view was expressed to me yesterday that it might be worth going into the play offs for the extra revenue. Great if we play Halifax, but not Gainsborough or Guiseley I'd say.

So what's the majority view ?

markecky

Re: THE PLAY OFFS
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »

Ridiculous poll.

How do you not go for it?

We are playing every game to win, if the decision was made not to go for it are you saying that the players would be advised to make sure they don't get too many points.

We're not good enough for the BSP but being there would increase the budget and the players we could attract.  Who knows maybe even some more directors to spread the load a little?

RocketDan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »

This clubs should be aiming to play at this highest level we possibley can. Realisticly we are a big enough club to be a midtable outfit in the conference national. That should be what we work towards. Getting promoted should be our main priority. Yesterday we had a decent gate but if we stay in this league for much longer attendances would fall and we could end up being here for a decade.

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »

That said this poll is a bit of a moot point because we aren't going to finish in the playoff spots unless we have a ridiculous good run of form between now and the end of the season.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

Ridiculous poll.

We are playing every game to win, if the decision was made not to go for it are you saying that the players would be advised to make sure they don't get too many points.

We're not good enough for the BSP but being there would increase the budget and the players we could attract.  Who knows maybe even some more directors to spread the load a little?

It honestly crossed my mind yesterday that the team selection wasn't geared towards us winning the game. And we wouldn't be the first club to soft pedal when the full ramifications of premature  promotion became apparent ! In fact, I've never been fully convinced that it hasn't happened here on a previous occasion.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »

Ridiculous poll.

We're not good enough for the BSP but being there would increase the budget and the players we could attract.  Who knows maybe even some more directors to spread the load a little?

It honestly crossed my mind yesterday that the team selection wasn't geared towards us winning the game. And we wouldn't be the first club to soft pedal when the full ramifications of premature  promotion became apparent ! In fact, I've never been fully convinced that it hasn't happened here on a previous occasion.

I can't believe a man of your intelligence would post something like this Phil.

The board has shown its commitment to doing all they can for promotion by signing McGivern and Phelan when it would have been far easier to throw a couplel of kids in and save a few hundred a week.

Who would make this decision?  How would the manager react if asked to do such a thing...do you think our players are clever enough to not win a game if asked?

I'm stunned here...

62vintage

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »

I am sure the manager and players would not set out to lose points on purpose, or that any anyone at the club would ask them to do so. It is a ridiculous idea, but they did a dam good job of losing yesterday.

Longman

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

Farcical this.

We play every game to win, thats how it should be.

End of story.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

This clubs should be aiming to play at this highest level we possibley can. Realisticly we are a big enough club to be a midtable outfit in the conference national. That should be what we work towards. Getting promoted should be our main priority. Yesterday we had a decent gate but if we stay in this league for much longer attendances would fall and we could end up being here for a decade.

I am not fully convinced we are a "big enough club to be a midtable outfit in the conference national'.......yes the likes of Tamworth, Southport and Barrow are doing ok this season as a number of ex league clubs implode, but unless our gates increase significantly, we will always struggle against the full time sides in what is now division five of the professional leagues.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

roytonmike

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »

The question is at this point academic. As of now the only way we're going to make the playoffs is if a couple of clubs (at least) in the top six implode in terms of results. Theoretical questions aren't worth polling about.

joe

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »

Ridiculous poll.

Not on yesterdays evidence!!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »

Going full time and spending a fortune on improving the ground would send a shiver down any directors spine. Getting promoted to a league we had survived in (football and financial wise) for the past few years would not.

I can't believe that there is the slightest insinuation that we would not try as hard to win a league game, particularly after the win last Tuesday. We lost yesterday because we were Crap and the manager got it wrong tactically which he admitted straight away. 

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding here. I am in no way inferring that we would deliberately set out to throw a game !

I'm tending along the lines of not spending any more unnecessary money, releasing players who won't do in the long term, blooding youngsters, experimenting with new formations, etc. Yesterday was an example of the last one of course.

If we do all those things and STILL make the playoffs, well and good. If we don't get there, then we strip fitter for next season from the experience.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding here. I am in no way inferring that we would deliberately set out to throw a game !

'Implying' though, Phil, surely...?

Apologies - I simply couldn't resist the ultra rare opportunity to be pedantic regarding a message from a former The Times crossword champion and Countdown winner....!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »

'Implying' though, Phil, surely...?

Apologies - I simply couldn't resist the ultra rare opportunity to be pedantic regarding a message from a former The Times crossword champion and Countdown winner....!

Touche !
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 THE PLAY OFFS