News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I cannot even think of words

Author Topic: I cannot even think of words  (Read 4317 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »

I will admit that I was a huge fan of Mark Maddox from the day he first signed for Alty

Lots has been said before during and after the fundraising events and I'm not going to go over old ground however this, from the Official site just sums up the guy for me.

The word legend is overused in football and the word hero is overused in general. Mark is both a legend and a hero to me and I'm not gonna hide that this has moved me to tears of admiration.

John Edwards, Altrincham's joint Press Officer, writes "Mark Maddox has underlined his standing as one of the most revered figures in Altrincham’s recent history after announcing he intends taking part in a sponsored walk to support his battle against illness. Club officials set up a testimonial fund, after Maddox was diagnosed with the debilitating Motor Neurone Disease, and have already staged a series of money-raising events.

The latest is a sponsored walk to Stalybridge, ahead of next month’s game there, and Maddox left chairman Grahame Rowley stunned by insisting on pounding the streets himself, despite the strength-sapping nature of his condition.

‘I asked him if he was sure, and he said:, "Oh yes, count me in. I want to do it”,’ said Rowley. ‘What can you say, except it is typical of Mark. It’s great, it really is. We are walking the first eight miles on Sunday, October 16, then the remaining nine on the day of the game at Stalybridge, the following Saturday. Mark is adamant he’s doing both, so anyone who wants to join us or sponsor someone, or both, will be most welcome.’

Details are available from the club on 0161 928 1045". They can also be emailed out by request here.

taxi Phil

Re: I cannot even think of words
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:18:25 AM »

Thanks for posting this Phil. You know that I share your admiration of "Mad Dog", and it's just typical of the man to undertake this. With his condition, it's the equivalent of one of us on the forum scaling Snowdon. I too am deeply moved.

mikealty

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:52 AM »

A true hero and legend, I'm disappointed that I missed his Alty playing days, I've only seen him on the pitch for 3 seconds, but still words truly can't describe how much admiration I have for Mad dog.

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »

Go on Mad dog!

anglo alty

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »

i would rather have one mad dog than a thousand carlos tevez's

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »

This piece has now gone viral on facebook.

Stunning example of Mad-dog's attitude.........LEGEND!

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »

Just out of interest, how can fans of other clubs donate towards the sponsored walk?

If someone wanted to send a cheque, who would it need to be made out to, and where would it need to be sent to?

Cheers.

Foz

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »

Just out of interest, how can fans of other clubs donate towards the sponsored walk?

If someone wanted to send a cheque, who would it need to be made out to, and where would it need to be sent to?

Cheers.

Pm sent...

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »

Excuse the vulgarity of mentioning the names Ferdinand, Bramble and Tevez, but compare and contrast the bravery, integrity and character of Mark to these non-entities of humanity and you realise how lucky we are to be associated with Mark.

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »

Ferdinand - daft drug banned disgrace

Bramble - alleged disgrace

Tevez - utter disgrace

Mark Maddox- they're not fit to clean Marks boots.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

Phil is right, there aren't words which do justice to the courage and dignity which Mark continues to show in the face of such terrible adversity. It makes me feel hugely humble to see how this great man conducts himself. What a fine example to us all! You're a diamond Mad Dog. 
Come on Alty!

whopper

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

why are people even mentioning mark in the same sentence as premiership footballers?

no relevance whatsoever to marks incredible spirit he is showing, 

its as if people have a chip on there shoulder because people are payed daft money to play, well that's because daft balloons will pay thousands a season to watch them.

Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »

why are people even mentioning mark in the same sentence as premiership footballers?

Emphasises the point of what a diamond bloke Mad Dog is.

whopper

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »

Emphasises the point of what a diamond bloke Mad Dog is.
he's a diamond bloke anyway, doesnt mean premier league players have to be slagged off, there not perfect just like all of us
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team