News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Salford Sharks

Author Topic: Salford Sharks  (Read 2952 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Salford Sharks
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Salford Sharks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

No they wouldn't but as they don't own their ground they wouldn't get any say in the matter.

It's highly unlikely to happen because Edgeley Park needs some serious investment to bring it up to the Rugby premiership standard. The asbestos roof on the main stand is disintegrating for one thing.

It's just sabre rattling to get something done about the terrible access and facilities at Eccles. I don't think Peel Holdings will blink first.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:39:05 AM »

Now call me old fashioned, but I've always thought you should play where you are from. How long ago is it now since they moved away from Heywood Road? When I heard the rumour of ourselves and sale sharing a ground near the water park, I was dead against it.

They should either seek to build a stadium in Sale or change the club name to Salford/Stockport Sharks.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »

not sure how it can be any harder for 8,000 fans to get to and from that new ground from sale as it is to get in and out of stockport? yes stockport has convenient bus and rail links but seriously that is against the A6 and lack of parking at edgeley...

I've done a few pick ups from the new stadium and found it well organised with it's huge on site car park, access road and short link to the M60.

This is all about sale sharks not getting enough money from the gate receipts, catering etc which is what happens when you don't own your own ground.

They are willy waving and playing billy big bully to try and get their own way.....Brian kennedy is an absolute disgrace.

If I were the stadium owners I'd say on yer bike then.......and in fairness Trafford council needs a kicking for not working more with sports clubs to create and improve facilities for our clubs.

But Bolton sharks it will probably be then.....ffs

Barry Howard was my Hero

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »

EP is a great footy ground, 5 mins walk from the train station, 10 mins walk from the bus station, at least 10 pubs within 10 mins walk, three car parks within 5 mins walk with over 750 spaces.

It's everything a ground should be apart from a roof over the away end.

Sale sharks are however not welcome back, it's pathetic to see this sad attempt at trying to over play his hand with Trafford, Salford and peel holdings, very familiar story.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »

It's a combination of things. At Edgeley Park the run off areas were dangerously tight and the corporate facilities were non-existant. Getting there by car, bus or train was fairly easy though and there were plenty of places to eat and drink before and after the game. Crowds varied between 6,000 and 10,000

Move to Salford city stadium. The corporates are well catered for. The rest of us have to fend for ourselves. There's parking for 900 cars, 600 on site and 300 at Barton aerodrome. The alternative is to park in Eccles and walk in. The people who park on site have to wait until the pedestrians have left because everyone uses the same exit.Anyone who used to arrive by bus or train at Edgeley Park can't use public transport because there's none back to where they've come from by the time they are able to get back to the city centre.  There's nowhere to eat or drink except at the stadium and every game the stadium recruit group four employees who don't know what they are doing. The queues are horrendous. Crowds have fallen to somewhere between 3,000-4,000. It depends whether you count the absentee season ticket holders. All the issues are fixable but the landlords aren't co-operating.

The guy who made the decision to move to Eccles is long gone. Stupid decision to go northwest when a big wedge of the suport comes from Cheshire and Staffordshire Brian Kennedy is haemoraging money but doesn't have the kind of money to build something new. Sale Sharks are always going to be tenants until there's more money at the top.

I decided not to renew my season ticket. I still go to games regularly but I've enjoyed Robins a lot more of late.

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »

The new road link from that area to Trafford park (without using the M60 bridge) should make it much easier for Trafford residents to access the stadium.

Whether they will be there by the time the work is done is anyone's guess.

Stockport don't have any choice whether they welcome them back as they (or at least one of the owners) still own Edgeley.

In the long term, it's possible Man United will take over there, they already have many non 1st team games played there & it's perfectly in their supporting catchment area.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:40:54 PM by rigsby »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Salford Sharks