PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 what makes Altrincham special for you?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what makes Altrincham special for you?  (Read 8141 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: what makes Altrincham special for you?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 06:45:58 AM »

Its my home team.I used to sell programs for them on match day and get in for nothing.Started watching them in the mid 60s and just love the club.
Harold

ALTYGAL

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »

It's run properly by approachable real people for real fans that love real  football.

It's everything that a proper football club should be SIMPLES  :)

Iateallthepies

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »

Some great reply's.
The club has had a fantastic year for me The youth team should get a mention also.
The fact that George did such a fantastic job with the youngsters and getting as far as they did in the FA youth cup was a great moment.
Lets hope the success will continue. Altrincham is a unique club.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:27:21 PM by Iateallthepies »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »

I'm sure I've bored you all with this before and I've tried to find it in my previous posts without success so I'll give you the (very) abridged version.

At the start of the 70s, I used to travel by bus then train to matches living as I did in North Manchester.
One weekend we were playing at Scarborough and I was planning to make the trip with my girlfriend on the supporters coach. Anyway we reached ML late and on enquiring to confirm this were just getting set to walk back to the station when Freddie Pye walked out of the pools office and asked where we were going. On finding out, he told us to wait ten minutes and the players coach turned up and we got on.
Approaching Seamer Road, he came to us and said just walk in with us and say 'players and officials'. When we were challenged by the local blazer-person who asked what role my GF had with the club, Freddie just said 'shut up and let them in or we're all back on the coach matey'. We got in.
Coming back, the coach stopped for the arranged meal a few miles out of scarborough and they set two extra places for us.
As we came over the pennines on the M62, Freddie asked us where we'd like to be dropped and said that John Cooke (our then number eight) was being dropped at Prestwich and would drop us off in his car from there.

The funny thing is, I don't remember the match at all but our adventure that day typified the kind of club Alty were - and are - and that's why they command such loyalty.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

I'm sure I've bored you all with this before and I've tried to find it in my previous posts without success so I'll give you the (very) abridged version.

At the start of the 70s, I used to travel by bus then train to matches living as I did in North Manchester.
One weekend we were playing at Scarborough and I was planning to make the trip with my girlfriend on the supporters coach. Anyway we reached ML late and on enquiring to confirm this were just getting set to walk back to the station when Freddie Pye walked out of the pools office and asked where we were going. On finding out, he told us to wait ten minutes and the players coach turned up and we got on.
Approaching Seamer Road, he came to us and said just walk in with us and say 'players and officials'. When we were challenged by the local blazer-person who asked what role my GF had with the club, Freddie just said 'shut up and let them in or we're all back on the coach matey'. We got in.
Coming back, the coach stopped for the arranged meal a few miles out of scarborough and they set two extra places for us.
As we came over the pennines on the M62, Freddie asked us where we'd like to be dropped and said that John Cooke (our then number eight) was being dropped at Prestwich and would drop us off in his car from there.

The funny thing is, I don't remember the match at all but our adventure that day typified the kind of club Alty were - and are - and that's why they command such loyalty.
I hope you ate all your greens up at the meal  ;)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »

I hope you ate all your greens up at the meal  ;)

I was too much in awe not to !  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 what makes Altrincham special for you?