https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coburn
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coburn  (Read 4020 times)

andyc

Coburn
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

Anyone know if he'll be fit for Saturday. If not we need a loan keeper as Acton is clearly not ready for first team action judging by Tuesdays performance. I feel we should play with a sub keeper anyway, you never know what can happen. Also I reckon GH will bring in another target man on loan for the rest of the season, lets hope he has someone lined up.

le bignose

Re: Coburn
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »

To be fair Andy, Accy has been pretty good between the sticks when he's been called upon, even pushing Coburns no.1 status earlier in the season. I know he didnt have the best game, and you could go as far as to say he cost us, but its easy to point the finger playing in that position. plus it wasnt the best of conditions, in fact it was a keepers nightmare with winds like that

I agree we should always have a back up keeper and we do have if required.

As for a forward ............. the Joe debate will go on forever, but regardless we must bring in someone who can bag us a few goals with col to have any chance of survival. We rely to heavily on Col to score, with little goal scoring contribution from the midfield or Senior/O'Neil.

But trust GH to have somethng up his sleave .......... the question then is if we will get to see him enough!! Cahill is a big loss at this stage of the campaign

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »

Have faith in Acton, he's in a very difficult situation regarding match fitness and has been a superb asset to alty in the past few years. His time will come.

Get behind him!

The Fan

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »

There have been a few occasions in recent years when Acton should (in my opinion) have been retained in goal after Coburn has been injured but Stuart has walked straight back in. Such has been the level of Accy's performances.

The fact it was even debated on this forum suggests that Acton has always done a great job when filling in.

To judge so harshly after one appearance is crazy. 

andyc

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »

I agree he has done a great job when called upon in the past but feel it would have been better for him to be involved on previous matchdays as a sub. If Coburn is out for a few games we surely need a back up keeper.

samba

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »

It's true that Acton had a bit of a mare on Tue, but the winds were terrible and make the keepers job horrid.  He has been a legend for Alty and has got to be one of the best back up keepers in the league surely?

Fingers crossed he'll redeem himself on Sat if Coburn is still injured. :)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »

Sorry if I keep banging on about this but it's just one of my pet subjects.

The word legend, when used in the context of Alty players, is grossly abused.

The only Alty legend currently playing (in my opinion) is Stuart Coburn.  Nobody else has made sufficient contribution over a respectable period of time (or number of appearances)

I appreciate that people want to express their admiration of players but to describe so many as legends seriously devalues the word and consequently hugely devalues the contributions made by TRUE legends like John King, Jackie Swindells, Jeff Johnson etc.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »

Stuart Coburn and Colin Little for me, Little could have wandered off back into the league but didn't and hasn't and still does the buisness for me

Legend is overely used though

joe

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »

Totally agree,only Coburn and Liitle of the current squad are anywhere near being an Alty legend.

altyf

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »

Many may will disagree but Gary Scott has achieved legend status for me and its unfortunate that he is just not up to conference standard.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

Gary Scott has\is a total credit to this football club.

Alty365

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

Scotty achieved legend staus a few years back in my eyes by returning from an injured eye socket prematurely to bolster the squad for the run in in 2004. I am convinced that if he hadn't done that we wouldn't have qualified for Conference North and had all the success which duly followed. It's amazing how small things can make such a big difference in the long run.

le bignose

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »

Sorry if I keep banging on about this but it's just one of my pet subjects.

The word legend, when used in the context of Alty players, is grossly abused.

The only Alty legend currently playing (in my opinion) is Stuart Coburn.  Nobody else has made sufficient contribution over a respectable period of time (or number of appearances)

I appreciate that people want to express their admiration of players but to describe so many as legends seriously devalues the word and consequently hugely devalues the contributions made by TRUE legends like John King, Jackie Swindells, Jeff Johnson etc.

Thing is altytunnelsteward, you need to read what Samba wrote, he merely said that "he has been a legend for alty", and not "he is an Alty legend". Todays terminology of legend doesnt often mean how alty fans portray it. "Legend" is commonly used nowadays so dont panic, i dont think he was meaning to add him to the Alty Legend List.

I often use the phrase legend, i would say Shotts has been a legend for alty, not many could agrue with that with his desire to play with passion and commitment, but this doesnt mean he's an Alty Legend .............. saying that he cant be far off ha!!

markecky

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »

Colin Little must be in there Phil surely.

I too agree, Stuart and Colin are the legends and Scottys contribution should not be forgotten.

Rod and Mad Dog are as well but they aren't with us.  There not dead though.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:38:55 PM by markecky »

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »

Players no longer with us that should not be forgotten .... Let me add Marcus Hallows. I know he gets a mention amongst the fans every now and again and look at the turnout he gets at do's he does in the local area and that shows how much he was\is liked at Altrincham FC

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coburn