PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Replay Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Gateshead Replay Match Thread  (Read 13187 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Gateshead Replay Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »

Byrne should be dealing with that back pass, it was poor but it wasn't a hospital ball. He's right footed tooAgree that Mee was suffering from an age-old case of Alty Scapegoatitis and would have been crucified for similar.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »

Sadly, the second goal was clearly onside. Good decision by the referee's assistant.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2022, 02:55:56 PM »

Equally, if not more concerned by whatever that so-called defending for the 2nd goal was. Abject.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2022, 04:13:44 PM »

Parkinson issues an apology for the FA Cup washout at Gateshead:

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sport/23060417.parkinson-apologises-fans-gateshead-replay-exit/

Interesting quote:

"This defeat will have ramifications for certain people."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:19:42 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2022, 08:35:46 PM »

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sport/23060417.parkinson-apologises-fans-gateshead-replay-exit/

Interesting quote:

Careful, we dont need to make changes after a poor defeat
It's all my fault.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »

Interesting quote:

These mistakes keep happening. They need to improve or be replaced with players that improve the team. Parky will need to decide. I can see Mr Gould stepping in..

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2022, 10:00:58 AM »

Interesting quote:

These mistakes keep happening. They need to improve or be replaced with players that improve the team. Parky will need to decide. I can see Mr Gould stepping in..

You can see our first choice goalkeeper, who has been good up to that point, being replaced?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »

Interesting quote:

You can see our first choice goalkeeper, who has been good up to that point, being replaced?
Unfortunately, it needs to be a consideration for the management, it's a close call between knocking confidence and showing that no place is safe, there are also defensive considerations to look at. Barrows should have done better for both goals as should the rest of the defence. Parky and Sorvs need to progress things and they need to make that decision whom is benched or keeps their place. Thats my opinion.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »

Interesting quote:

If I turn up tomorrow at Torquay and we havent started Byrne, I won't leave the pub
It's all my fault.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2022, 12:38:50 PM »

You can't be dropping Byrne for 1 (90% his fault) fuk up.

Osborne would only play every other game if you applied that logic all over the pitch!

Full time and proud of it

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2022, 12:42:51 PM »

I can't believe for one second the people that were being talked about by Phil was Byrne... He's head and shoulders the best keeper at the club.

Plenty of others within the squad who should be asking if they have done enough in their appearances to warrant keeping their place.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2022, 01:02:41 PM »

What on earth is Byrne playing at? Absolutely ludicrous.

It’s interesting to me to compare the reaction to that howler to the one Mee committed at Maidenhead. I’m not saying people should be piling in on Byrne now but he does seem to get an easier ride from Alty fans than other keepers.

Apply the same logic, in that case, to Toby Mullarkey please.

I love him as much as everyone else but he's played a no-look backpass, across his left-footed keeper, straight into a dangerous area. He also had the opportunity to clear it down the line with his own weaker foot a mere matter of seconds prior to that - but opted not to do so.

Byrne failed to deal with the situation... however Toby created it. We said the same thing with Mee regarding the bizarre backpass he received himself.

Are we SERIOUSLY discussing dropping Byrne after that? Lord, give me strength.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2022, 05:03:41 PM »

What on earth is Byrne playing at? Absolutely ludicrous.

It’s interesting to me to compare the reaction to that howler to the one Mee committed at Maidenhead. I’m not saying people should be piling in on Byrne now but he does seem to get an easier ride from Alty fans than other keepers.

Apply the same logic, in that case, to Toby Mullarkey please.

I love him as much as everyone else but he's played a no-look backpass, across his left-footed keeper, straight into a dangerous area. He also had the opportunity to clear it down the line with his own weaker foot a mere matter of seconds prior to that - but opted not to do so.

Byrne failed to deal with the situation... however Toby created it. We said the same thing with Mee regarding the bizarre backpass he received himself.

Are we SERIOUSLY discussing dropping Byrne after that? Lord, give me strength.

I'm not sure I understand what point you're asking me to make (or indeed why you're asking me to make it rather than just making it yourself).

What I was saying was that Byrne seems to have attracted weirdly little criticism for a horrendous mistake, which wouldn't have been true of other, less popular players. Toby has received plenty of criticism for his part in it so 'the same logic' can't be applied.

I've already given my view of the incident. I'll add that Toby was at least trying to retain possession, which, for better or worse is the Alty way. You seem to think he should have hoofed it up the line or out of touch. Maybe that's right but it would not have been the Alty way. What Byrne was trying to do is anyone's guess.

I have not called for Byrne to be dropped.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2022, 05:42:06 PM »

There is now an interview from Parky available. Sound very down on the evening. Make of it what you will..

https://altrinchamfc.com/blogs/news/phil-parkinson-altrincham-v-gateshead-fa-cup-4qr-replay-post-match-interview

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2022, 05:47:55 PM »

I've already given my view of the incident. I'll add that Toby was at least trying to retain possession, which, for better or worse is the Alty way. You seem to think he should have hoofed it up the line or out of touch.
He was by the left hand touchline playing the ball into an area where he would reasonably expect to be. Where’s the logic in that? Yes, hoofing it upfield or into touch would have been infinitely more sensible.

Additionally, for the second goal his time attempting to catch the goalscorer was spent slowing down to a trot whilst appealing to the linesman for offside.

Both Mullarkey and JJones were better players alongside Hannigan and I suspect they continue to need that knowledgable old head. They cannot succeed alongside each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Replay Match Thread