PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Fa Cup Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gateshead Fa Cup Match Thread  (Read 7557 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead Fa Cup Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 07:41:45 PM »

Ryan on the bench?

The chairman informed me after the game that Ryan wasn’t feeling well so fair play for him to actually come on as a sub

A cold you can play through.

I never said he had a cold  , if the guy doesn’t feel well enough to start then fair enough

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 07:43:23 PM »

Why do the management insist in playing Toby at RB the bloke is the best CB at the club for Gods sake.
James Jones is not the same player from when he was previously with Alty.

Felt sorry for CCC today he got lumps kicked out of him

I know he scored a good goal but Dinanga is too lightweight up front he can’t hold the ball up and he doesn’t anticipate situations. I think Zak Goodson deserves a start.

Thought we were lucky to get a second shot at the FA Cup after the first half performance.

Please please please stop passing the ball ball back to the keeper so much. Teams have sussed us now and they just press us so we end up lumping it to them anyway.

Hopefully Ryan will be well enough to be able to play next Tuesday.

The short passing in and around the box was awful in the 1st half. I get it is to draw our opponents out, so we can get behind them but often we end up panicking and either knocking it out for a throwing or straight back to the opposition.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 07:43:59 PM »

Ryan on the bench?

Indeed. Lucky to still be in the tie after slightly baffling team selection. Poor first half, Gateshead should have wrapped it up then.

We went up a couple of levels once the subs were made to get us closer to our best team and might have nicked a win late on.

Hope Chris Conn Clarke is OK, he had an excellent game today.

CCC was my MoM today

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »

Byrne

Barrows*  Mullarkey (c)  Cooper  E.Jones

Lundstram  Osborne

Jackson  Conn-Clarke  Colclough

Dinanga

Subs: Brockbank, Roxburgh*, J.Jones, Malone, Pringle, Goodson, Hulme

If Barrows doesn't make it due to concussion protocol, hopefully it'll just be a straight swap for Roxburgh rather than moving the wider team around, with Gould on the bench.

At this point we might as well send Mee back to United if we can, don't really see the reason in having him on the books now (and I'm going to pretend Byron Harrison was a dream).

Out of the bench options I think we'll probably see Jordan at some point, which means I suspect we might see Goodson deployed on the right.

That should be the starting 11 on Tuesday.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2022, 09:02:18 PM »

As others have said, we were extremely fortunate to only be a goal in arrears at half time.

Honestly believe that if we go 442 on Tuesday, we'll outscore Gateshead.

Byrne is class.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »

Colclough has had a very heavy cold apparently.

Why malarkey is second choice rb is mind boggling.

Conn-Clarke was battered black and blue, received no protection from the ref and has little chance of playing Tuesday.

What position was Malone playing and why

Aside from the first 10 mins the first half was dire.

Improved when Hulme and sniffly Colclough came on.

Believe Mullarkey came off with an injury..

Bennett has torn a hamstring and gone back to parent club.

Poor day all-round but we are in the hat on Monday.

When was the last time a player scored 4 games on the spin?

Well at least I never "wined" about Dinanga. I always suspected there was a decent player in there and happily we're seeing that now!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2022, 10:04:14 PM »

I thought if I waited 5 hours before posting I might be a bit less angry than I was at the end of that debacle.

We seemed to have no cogent game plan, conceded possession way too easily, and were generally sloppy

Malone was a total waste of space. James Jones needs to play alongside an experienced central defender - and that man is NOT Cooper, who had an appalling game. Midfield ? Was there one ? Osborne continually lost possession.

Why didn't Jackson start with no wide man in the squad ? He must have been dreading being dragged into the mess that was our performance.

We won at Gateshead three weeks ago for the first time in 20 years, but on what I suffered through this afternoon, it could be another 20 years before we do it again. I seriously doubt we'll be in the 1st round, and Gateshead will probably face Sunderland away instead of us (and discover thousands of new "supporters" when they do).

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »

If it's any consolation (and I admit it might not be) Wrexham only drew at Blyth.

We can't defend like that and expect to win games.

(By the way, Sunderland got promoted! :) )

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2022, 10:48:36 PM »

I thought if I waited 5 hours before posting I might be a bit less angry than I was at the end of that debacle.

We seemed to have no cogent game plan, conceded possession way too easily, and were generally sloppy

Malone was a total waste of space. James Jones needs to play alongside an experienced central defender - and that man is NOT Cooper, who had an appalling game. Midfield ? Was there one ? Osborne continually lost possession.

Why didn't Jackson start with no wide man in the squad ? He must have been dreading being dragged into the mess that was our performance.

We won at Gateshead three weeks ago for the first time in 20 years, but on what I suffered through this afternoon, it could be another 20 years before we do it again. I seriously doubt we'll be in the 1st round, and Gateshead will probably face Sunderland away instead of us (and discover thousands of new "supporters" when they do).
All correct.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2022, 10:59:09 PM »

I’m guessing it might be Elliott Durrell who scored in five consecutive games either side of the first Covid lockdown.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2022, 11:41:16 PM »

Surely we have anyone in the team that can do a shift at RB instead of Toby. We need him back in central defence, he’s our best defender. JJ doesn’t seem to be the player he once was and Cooper is miles off it, even more so today. Looking at the stats, the best central defence has been Baines with Toby. We have shipped goals for fun since his injury. Hopefully Barrows back and E.Jones looking a better player since he was here last time, can give us a solid back four. With Elliott and Luds dictating play, then CCC (who was my MOTM today), Ryan and Dinanga playing off Jordan… We have a solid team that can gel. I think the team need to believe in themselves and show some heart and desire to win first and second balls, get behind eachother and get us through to the next round!

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2022, 11:57:51 PM »

Hear hear. We can still win this. Four games unbeaten now. As long as we learn from our mistakes (and to be fair we were better second half) we have every chance. Salty Alty!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »

The main plus was that we can play so below par and still have another bite at the cherry, if Gatesheads finishing matched their approach play they’d have had about 5/6 yesterday. I thought we were totally overran in the middle of the park for much of it and far too easy to play through-the return of Marriot can’t come soon enough. Optimism for Tuesday of course that we’ve already won there the other week and the possibility that both Colclough and Barrows could return and we’d struggle to play worse.

I had hospitality for a treat with my dad, chicken katsu curry was v good and generous with the grog before kick off too. Randomly Viv Anderson was in there with what looked like a load of his family as well. Can recommend if others are contemplating it for future matches. Disappointed though that so many regulars seemingly won’t dip their hand into their pocket for a cup tie, about 400 down that on standard Saturday home league games thus far.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2022, 11:14:13 AM »

The counter argument to the 'won't play much worse' is we were poor at their place last year and proceeded to get even worse in the home replay.

Attendance was definitely disappointing - thought we'd get up towards 1,800.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2022, 06:39:17 PM »

Colclough has had a very heavy cold apparently.

Why malarkey is second choice rb is mind boggling.

Conn-Clarke was battered black and blue, received no protection from the ref and has little chance of playing Tuesday.

What position was Malone playing and why

Aside from the first 10 mins the first half was dire.

Improved when Hulme and sniffly Colclough came on.

Believe Mullarkey came off with an injury..

Bennett has torn a hamstring and gone back to parent club.

Poor day all-round but we are in the hat on Monday.

Well at least I never "wined" about Dinanga. I always suspected there was a decent player in there and happily we're seeing that now!

Notwithstanding his recent welcome upturn in form, Dinanga is still failing to convert extremely presentable goalscoring chances when he finds himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

We witnessed another example in the first half yesterday, following on from those two excellent opportunities against Dorking and those two occasions when his shot struck the crossbar after he had been put clean through on goal at Boreham Wood and Notts County respectively.

He simply has to start capitalising on such moments.

Having said all that, credit to him for that splendid instinctive finish yesterday afternoon. It appears that the less time he has to think about things, the greater the prospect of the ball hitting the back of the net becomes. 

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Fa Cup Match Thread