PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Chesterfield match thread  (Read 7365 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield match thread
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2022, 10:27:44 PM »

Any known reason why Byrne wasn't playing?

Because the terms of Mee's loan almost certainly stipulate that he must play a certain number of games. And hes6here till January. We'd have been better off playing Ryan Forde and not doing the loan deal.

finnquark1

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2022, 10:51:27 PM »

I think we'll lost to Solihull, and then it's 7 games and 4 points. It's going to make Wealdstone and SC**thorpe at home the following week two massive games, very early in the season, if nothing else but in setting the tone for a potentially very long winter.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2022, 01:41:40 AM »

Because the terms of Mee's loan almost certainly stipulate that he must play a certain number of games. And hes6here till January. We'd have been better off playing Ryan Forde and not doing the loan deal.

Thanks. When's the Cheshire Senior Cup?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2022, 02:14:44 AM »

I was worried when I saw the lineup, especially Mee in goal. He's too static and doesn't command his area at all. We need Byrne starting. Thought first half we competed well, but you could see Burrows and Jackson tiring.

Second Half, we were slow to get going, Jackson should have been subbed at HT. He and others need to get match fit.

As others say, were a new team, but overall not fit enough. I'm getting concerned as were full time and look poor at set pieces as well.

Playing both Barrows and Jackson down the right flank always looked like being a major gamble. Barrows was cramping up with 20 minutes still on the clock and Jackson was spent after 45 minutes (and, on today's evidence, would probably benefit from a spell out on loan to regain his fitness).

After a couple of early scares, we grew into the first half and were largely keeping Chesterfield at arm's length, whilst admittedly not really creating much of note up front. Therefore, that unexpected goal came as a real bonus.

Alas, for the second successive match we were undone by a set piece right at the start of the second half (Mee surely had to come off his line for that free kick?) and things swiftly deteriorated from there.

Chesterfield were extremely fit and physically strong and they effectively proceeded to close out the game without us exhibiting much prospect of mustering a second goal.

My pre-season concern was that this squad lacks goals. Indeed, our current leading goalscorer is one of our central defenders and both of our main forwards have yet to find the back of the net.

Best aspects of the day: (i) the attendance figure and (ii) Ballers treating me to a post-match double G&T.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:16:25 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »

Mee did ok yesterday but the real issue is chopping and changing keeper from one match to the next. The defence needs continuity with a settled number one whoever that might be.If it’s a contractual agreement with United it’s disappointing we agreed to it although we did have our backs to the wall somewhat thanks to the Wales FA or whoever was responsible for the Ollie Byrne saga. Can we get on the phone to United and plead with them to release us from the agreement? I agree with the proposal of a Byrne/Forde alternative to the present one.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »

I was worried when I saw the lineup, especially Mee in goal. He's too static and doesn't command his area at all. We need Byrne starting. Thought first half we competed well, but you could see Burrows and Jackson tiring.

Second Half, we were slow to get going, Jackson should have been subbed at HT. He and others need to get match fit.

As others say, were a new team, but overall not fit enough. I'm getting concerned as were full time and look poor at set pieces as well.

Cult, you summarised what I wished to say perfectly. Only comment to add is that I believe Dinanaga can score goals. But needs service and a run of games. He set the goal up at Boreham wood and had one disallowed in first game for a dubious offside call. free scoring number 9 would be handy though if grew on trees.

Playing both Barrows and Jackson down the right flank always looked like being a major gamble. Barrows was cramping up with 20 minutes still on the clock and Jackson was spent after 45 minutes (and, on today's evidence, would probably benefit from a spell out on loan to regain his fitness).

After a couple of early scares, we grew into the first half and were largely keeping Chesterfield at arm's length, whilst admittedly not really creating much of note up front. Therefore, that unexpected goal came as a real bonus.

Alas, for the second successive match we were undone by a set piece right at the start of the second half (Mee surely had to come off his line for that free kick?) and things swiftly deteriorated from there.

Chesterfield were extremely fit and physically strong and they effectively proceeded to close out the game without us exhibiting much prospect of mustering a second goal.

My pre-season concern was that this squad lacks goals. Indeed, our current leading goalscorer is one of our central defenders and both of our main forwards have yet to find the back of the net.

Best aspects of the day: (i) the attendance figure and (ii) Ballers treating me to a post-match double G&T.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »

Agree with most on here. Fairly even 1st half then disintegrated 2nd half. Two really poor goals to concede even  given the 2nd came from a corner that never was.

Plus point was Barrows did well, clearly needs more minutes but will be an asset

Don't think we'll win too many games when starting Jackson and Pringle.  Can't fault Hulmes performance but he doesn't look like scoring. When Colclough has a quiet game (which he did) we look devoid of any goal threat.

Id be putting Kaja or Sami when we need a goal.
Full time and proud of it

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »

Are Kaja and Sami injured? Neither in yesterday's squad.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »

I've read some interesting posts following yesterday's game, some of which I think are unfair.  Firstly, Mee should be held responsible for either of yesterday's goals; the first came after Baines lost his man, the second was a deflection (almost certainly from a hand).  Secondly, I thought that we showed much more grit than I've seen for a long time.  Gone were the lengthy periods of lateral passing, and instead we saw the team prepared to have a go and push forward for sustained periods (although the question of where we our goals will come from is still an issue).  Looking at the table, Chesterfield are top, and taken in isolation I think that yesterday's performance was decent; the problem is that it comes after a run of draws and losses.

I'm far from panicking yet, but I think that we may need to accept that this season is going to see us hovering about the relegation places while we bed in as. FT club.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2022, 12:50:51 PM »

Are Kaja and Sami injured? Neither in yesterday's squad.

Kaja picked up an ankle knock at Boreham Wood.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »

I've read some interesting posts following yesterday's game, some of which I think are unfair.  Firstly, Mee should be held responsible for either of yesterday's goals; the first came after Baines lost his man, the second was a deflection (almost certainly from a hand).  Secondly, I thought that we showed much more grit than I've seen for a long time.  Gone were the lengthy periods of lateral passing, and instead we saw the team prepared to have a go and push forward for sustained periods (although the question of where we our goals will come from is still an issue).  Looking at the table, Chesterfield are top, and taken in isolation I think that yesterday's performance was decent; the problem is that it comes after a run of draws and losses.

I'm far from panicking yet, but I think that we may need to accept that this season is going to see us hovering about the relegation places while we bed in as. FT club.

Losing to the (likely) champions at home is no disgrace. On another day we could have nicked a draw, although my mate from Chesterfield who watches them home and away insisted (after several pints in Costellos and Pi bar) that they could have stepped-up their game if looking like an away draw. Having lost Asante early, they had the unfit Tshimanga on the pitch for 80 minutes. Luckily Toby was a match for Quigley else we would have been in big trouble.

As you say, defeat is worse to accept after recent run of draws.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2022, 09:04:13 PM »

Can't really complain about losing 2-1 on the balance of play . They are a big , physical , fast and skilful outfit who will be thereabouts at the end of the season yet we matched them for periods of the game and they never totally outplayed us .   Thought Toby was head and shoulders our best player . We still need a goalscorer , we still miss Marriott and Kossy and the keeper situation needs sorting asap .
  Kingy was at the game yesterday , wonder who he supported ?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »

Interesting watching the highlights, whilst poor defending for the first, could Mee have done better? Think so myself, just rooted to spot and no flicker to try and save the header that past him.

For the second, looked like climbing for the initial header and then a fluky deflection off Tschmanga into the net, maybe offside as well, maybe a hand.

If Coco goes down as pulled, then surely would have been a penalty. Should have been anyway, but a poor referee on the day.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2022, 11:26:27 AM »

Can't really complain about losing 2-1 on the balance of play . They are a big , physical , fast and skilful outfit who will be thereabouts at the end of the season yet we matched them for periods of the game and they never totally outplayed us .   Thought Toby was head and shoulders our best player . We still need a goalscorer , we still miss Marriott and Kossy and the keeper situation needs sorting asap .

How we could use a John King in the centre of the park, such a commanding and motivating presence and a better player than he was given credit for too.  How long would the ref allow him to stay on the pitch though given that the modern game has lost a lot of its contact sport element?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2022, 02:21:20 PM »

How we could use a John King in the centre of the park, such a commanding and motivating presence and a better player than he was given credit for too.  How long would the ref allow him to stay on the pitch though given that the modern game has lost a lot of its contact sport element?

He'd pick up enough red cards over the season to have a flush in a poker game ,😂
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield match thread