News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Should 'An Open Letter to The Chairman' be considered

Author Topic: Should 'An Open Letter to The Chairman' be considered  (Read 3688 times)

Spring

« on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »

Is the concept of an 'open letter' with the request that it be discussed at a Board meeting a possible way forward?

A first draft is attached but if the idea was to be considered the letter would need to be refined substantially and agreed by all those that wanted to sign
 the contents. If nobody thinks the idea or the draft contents are along the right lines, then just ignore.

I only suggest the above, as I now know you are genuine supporters, and like me are totally distraught about the demise of the club but I believe that any efforts need to be constructive and seek to achieve specific things.

I am just floating an idea but the idea is only viable if enough people think it is in the best interests of the club for there to be change at the top, due to the position we find ourselves in. If the majority believe the status quo is acceptable then the suggested concept is clearly inappropriate.  75% of the poll seemed to favour change hence the suggestion.

Dear Mr Rowley

This is an open letter, sent to you by people, who like you are passionate supporters of Altrincham F.C. and only have the best interests of the club as our objective. We are not 'the enemy' and for a long period of time have supported the Club in a number of ways and believe that our views deserve to be heard and considered both by you and equally, by all those that are concerned about the fortunes of 'our' football club.

Two facts in particular need to be stated and considered by you, by the rest of the Board and by all those interested enough to read this letter.

1) It is recognised that you have worked, for a number of years with the sole objective of improving the prosperity and standing of Altrincham F.C.  You have done this in a committed and energetic manner serving on the Board of the football club with distinction and you achieved particular and conspicuous success in your role as Vice Chairman under the previous Chairman.

2) However it is equally recognised that since your elevation to the role of Chairman of the Board, the Club has failed spectacularly in achieving its prime aim, namely to be successful as a football club. We have been termed the 'worst team in English football' and are doomed to relegation for the second time in two seasons. This has happened 'on your watch' and is due to self admitted mistakes being made in the governance of the club and in particularly in decisions you have endorsed relating to the management of the First XI football team. 

Given these two facts which we suggest are self evident and indisputable, it is believed that in the best interests of Altrincham Football Club it would be a tragedy if you did not continue to play a conspicuous and an active role in the club. However it is believed that your undoubted commitment and abilities should be channelled into the right areas and that these do not include the leadership of both the Board and the football club as a whole.

As such we respectfully ask that this 'open letter' is discussed at the next Board meeting and active consideration is given to you moving to a different role in the structure of the Club and a new chairman elected, which will allow the Club to have a fresh start in determining crucial decisions related to its future.

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Should 'An Open Letter to The Chairman' be considered
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »

Says what needs to be said and I'd sign it.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »

I'd sign that too.

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »

An excellent letter.....I think it encapsulates what needs to be said and is very fair recognising the excellent work no-one denies Grahame and the Rowleys have put into the club and the poor decisions football wise.

I would sign that happily.

GB Alty

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »

Rowley and the board know the views of most fans - they disagree with those views thats the problem, those that agreed enough is enough have left the board - so your letter would acheive nothing

I wouldn't sign it anyway, Rowley and his family need to be out of the club completely - last thing a new chairman/board need is this fool smirking in the background. He would be a distraction and maintain the old pals clique which is killing the club

Rowley out

York Alty is back

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »

I would agree to that, ad in out totally.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:38:46 PM by York Alty »

Spring

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Sponge and York Alty

You may well be right and certainly your views are totally valid. The thinking behind the letter was that the only way that change is going to actually happen is for either Mr Rowley himself or some members of the Board, to accept that change is required. Nobody in their senses can be happy with the present situation .....apart from those that wish the club bad fortune .......and equally nobody in their senses can but come to any other conclusion than,Mr Rowley's leadership has been one of abject failure on the footballing front.

Given this, to publicize  these stark facts and to get a public discussion going.....perhaps in the press......perhaps amongst supporters and perhaps amongst the Board seems an open and civilised way of proceeding.

I personally do not cast Mr Rowley as the 'devil' but prefer to see him as a well intentioned and committed supporter of the club, who possibly does not possess the leadership or the decision making skills to succeed as a Chairman but does perhaps possess the energy and commitment to contribute positively, for the benefit of the club.   This I have to say is supposition, as I suspect that I like you are not on intimate terms with the people involved. However anyone who presides over the level of disaster that has become the footballing side of our club cannot claim to have the right skill set needed for success.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »

The shame is , if this is not resolved resentment will grow to the point everyone feels as sponge does and there will be no legacy to be remembered for, whereas we can all move forwards more or less united now legacy intact if the correct action is taken.

Geoff Goodwin stepped down at the absolute right time (having done nothing wrong I might add)......he will be remembered in the right way that could have changed had he started to make errors and then overstayed his welcome....that's called class....

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »

Springy, that letter's fine by me.

bighairedmike

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

The letter mentions nothing about why the fans are so annoyed and why they feel so alienated.  The false accusations, the disdain for the regular fan that is held at board level, the abuse of fans in public.

Im in support of an open letter, just not one written by somebody who doesn't understand and up until 24 hours ago didn't grasp the context of the fans frustrations.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »

I think point 2 is a bit clouded with recent events.

Grahame was elevated to the chairman in 2010, at the same time Heathcote stood down, we were already heading south at that point and Ken McKenna narrowly missed keeping Alty in the Conf premier.  Lee Sinnot was then brought in with a finish in the conf north or 8th, 4th, 3rd and promotion to the National. As the review presented, the clubs finances strengthened in this time and the playing budget increased.

I'd consider that a success for 5 years under the board as was with Grahame as Chairman ?

We struggle in the conf national, finishing 17th then 22nd and relegated following Sinnot leaving.

I'm pretty sure the decision to recruit Neil Young and give him the freedom he had was a "board" decision involving others and wasnt just the chairman.

From that point a lot of our current fate was sealed and its been firefighting ever since.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:14:15 PM by beaker141 »

Spring

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »

George Heslop's Moustache

I totally understand what you say and that is why I said in my preamble that the letter should be amended  ....and by that I meant by those with more knowledge. If you believe the concept is worthy please by all means amend or even write a completely new letter, I am not trying to upset you or anybody else with more understanding of the situation and am more than happy to withdraw from the fray. All I was trying to do was suggest a way of stimulating the change that most of the people who voted on the poll seemed to want.

I also think Beaker has a relevant point in saying that Mr Rowley may be able to point to some years of relative success and that this should also be borne in mind, although one could argue with the Neil Young appointment the buck definitely stops with the final decision maker.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team